For people with severe lung disease, simply taking a breath can be challenging. West Park Healthcare Centre's Respiratory Complex Continuing Care Service is a 24-hour, residential care program for people with complex respiratory disorders.
This 26-bed service is designed for people whose needs can't be met in the community or in a long-term care home. Our respiratory care team works with residents to develop an individualized care program, which may include Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP) support.
Service features include:
- Rehabilitative approach to promote the highest possible functional level;
- Individualized program to meet specific needs;
- Transdisciplinary team of health care professionals who specialize in treatment of complex medical, physical, social and emotional problems associated with chronic respiratory disorders;
- Opportunities for patients to learn more about their condition, participate in programs and improve their level of functioning and independence, and interact with people dealing with similar health problems and issues;
- Staff assist patients to meet their physical, psychosocial, vocational and leisure needs, as well as to improve a patient's functional abilities;
- Family members and friends are a valuable part of the patient's support network and are encouraged to remain partners in the patient's daily routine and to participate in hospital activities with the patient.
To download a brochure on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), click here.
Lungs and Breathing
Funding: The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. See "Additional Information" for more detail on other costs.
Patients of West Park's Respiratory Complex Continuing Care Service are adults (18 years of age and older) who:
- Have severe chronic obstructive and/or other restrictive lung diseases;
Have daily care and medical needs that cannot be met at home, in a nursing home or through community-based services
A physician referral is required. To find out more on how to refer, visit here. To access the relevant referral form, click here.
For admission information, please call the Admitting Department at West Park Healthcare Centre at 416-243-3632, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional Respiratory Continuing Care Service information, please call 416-243-3600, ext. 4855, or email email@example.com.
The cost of medical and professional care in standard ward accommodation (where four people share one room) is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care requires an additional daily complex continuing care co-payment, which is subject to change (a 30-day notice of increases will be provided).
Additional fees are charged for semi-private (two people per room) and private (one person per room) accommodation. Details on co-payments and preferred accommodation are available from West Park's Financial Services Department at (416) 243-3600, ext. 2074.