The Long-Term Ventilation Centre of Excellence (LTVCOE) has certain objectives:
- To provide training and education for health care professionals, attendant service providers, caregivers and ventilator assisted individuals, to help foster safe, quality care in the most appropriate setting;
- To develop and disseminate best practices, care standards and innovation in long-term ventilation to support safe, quality care for ventilator assisted individuals;
- To develop effective processes to transition ventilator assisted individuals across the continuum of care, in a safe, timely manner, in order to enhance their quality of life; and
- To assist in the development of services to support the care of individuals with respiratory failure requiring ventilatory support and those at risk of developing respiratory failure.
Lungs and Breathing
Funding: The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Patients of West Park's CAVC Service are adults (18 years of age and older) who:
- Require invasive ventilatory support due to chronic ventilatory failure
- Are non-smokers
- Are medically stable and no longer require continuous cardio-respiratory monitoring and/or central venous access
A physician referral is required. To find out more on how to refer, visit here. To access the relevant referral form, click here.
For additional information, please call Raj Kohli at ext. 2309.
The cost of medical and professional care in standard ward accommodation (where four people share one room) is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care requires an additional daily complex continuing care co-payment, which is subject to change (a 30-day notice of increases will be provided).
Additional fees are charged for semi-private (two people per room) and private (one person per room) accommodation; details on preferred accommodation are available from West Park's Financial Services Department at 416-243-3600, ext. 2074.