West Park houses the largest in-patient amputee service in Canada with staff dedicated and trained solely in the care of the amputee population. We are also the only adult amputee rehabilitation program in the Greater Toronto area with an on-site prosthetic facility. That means we can monitor and adjust prosthetics daily, if needed.
The Amputee Rehabilitation Service helps patients who have lost a limb adjust to their amputation and begin their recovery to achieve their full physical, psychological and social potential.
To download a brochure for this service, click here.
The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. (See "Additional information" for more detail.)
Adults with limb amputations who, depending on their condition and needs, may be joining us on an out-patient basis (coming for appointments while living at your own home) or as an in-patient where you’ve been admitted to West Park for a period of time.
Patients of West Park's Amputee Rehab Service are adults, 18 years and older (younger patients will be considered if appropriate for the program), who have:
- Undergone an amputation of the foot or leg, or hand or arm
- Sufficient mental competence to learn or participate in a rehabilitation program
- Potential for recovery to an improved level of independence with the application or replacement of a prosthetic device and instruction in a comprehensive rehabilitation program
- Potential for improvement in functional independence by participating in a comprehensive rehabilitation program without the application of a prosthetic device - priority is given to amputees awaiting admission for prosthetic fitting
- Patients admitted for non-prosthetic rehabilitation must demonstrate that adequate social support exists in their community living environment and it can be adjusted to accommodate the patient's altered physical status and needs
- A stable medical condition (assessed by consulting physiatrist or designate) to permit full participation in the program
A physician referral is required.
To find out more on how to refer, visit here.
To access the relevant referral form, click here.
For admission information, please call the Admitting Department at West Park Healthcare Centre at 416-243-3632, or email email@example.com.
For additional Amputee Rehab Service information, please call (416) 243-3600 ext. 4125, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cost of medical and professional care in standard ward accommodation (where four people share one room) is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Additional fees are charged for semi-private (two people per room) and private (one person per room) accommodation; details on preferred accommodation are available from West Park's Financial Services Department at 416-243-3600, ext. 2074.
In-patients unable to return to an independent lifestyle upon completion of the program will be asked to apply to three long-term care facilities. Care co-ordinators will counsel and support patients and families throughout the placement process.
For more information about amputee rehabilitation and a list of resources go to:
War Amps - www.waramps.ca
Amputee-Coalition - www.amputee-coalition.org/
Parasport Ontario - www.parasportontario.ca/
Canadian Paralympic Committee - www.paralympic.ca/