Construction Brief

November 2021

Smiling construction worker

A construction workers gives a warm, delightful smile for the camera as he busily works to install duct work in the new hospital

Half-Way There! |Get Your Life Back Campaign 

The West Park Foundation celebrated a significant milestone by fundraising more than 50 per cent of its Phase I goal of $50 million. Thank you to all the generous donors for supporting West Park so that we may deliver the best care possible to our patients!

At the virtual event, guests viewed a video of the construction progress since the Groundbreaking Celebration in 2018 and a sneak peek at feature areas taking shape in the new hospital.

The Foundation also unveiled a special endeavor – the West Park Time Capsule whereby messages of hope and best wishes for our patients and the new hospital are being collected for the inclusion of a time capsule that will be buried on the campus. 

Again, thank you to everyone who is supporting West Park! While the provincial government covers 90 per cent of the cost for the new facility, West Park must cover its “local share” of the remaining 10 per cent, plus furniture and equipment. The Foundation’s Get Your Life Back Campaign aims to raise $50 million by 2023 (Phase I) to help cover West Park’s local share and equipping the new hospital. 

After 2023, the Campaign will raise an additional $30 million (Phase II) to support the new hospital, bringing the total campaign goal to an ambitious $80 million – the largest fundraising endeavor in the history of West Park.

To donate, please visit 

Construction Highlights

A Look at the New West Park
In a pre-recorded video at the Foundation’s event mentioned above, Shelley Ditty, Vice-President of Campus Development and Support Services, provided guests with a virtual tour of key areas of the new hospital.

We will be releasing segments of the virtual tour in the coming weeks.

Last week, we released a peek at the Main Lobby and Feature Stair. If you missed it, you can watch it here.

Goodbye to Thunderbird!
West Park’s beloved Crane #3 is now tentatively leaving the campus on Friday, December 10.

The crane is endearingly named Thunderbird after First Nations elder Shannon Thunderbird, whose husband was a patient at West Park and presided over West Park’s Tree and Land Blessing Ceremony prior to construction.  

Construction on East-West Road and Buttonwood Ave. 
EllisDon continues to install and connect communication, hydro and storm lines to the new hospital along the East-West Road and is expected to be complete in mid-December. This same work is being done on Buttonwood Avenue, which began earlier this month. 

See the Action