In 2006, West Park Healthcare Centre was designated as Best Practice Spotlight Organization (BPSO) by the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO). The Centre is honoured to be a BPSO and is committed to advancing and sustaining evidence informed practice and a healthy work environment.
Best Practice Spotlight Organizations (BPSOs) are health-care and academic organizations selected by the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RNAO) through a request for proposals process to implement and evaluate the RNAO's best practice guidelines (BPG). It is a dynamic partnership that focuses on making a positive impact on patient care at West Park and other member organizations though evidence-based practice.
Our approach to BPG implementation is integrated across the organization. Our Corporate Performance Committee and our Performance Improvement Committee oversee our quality improvement initiatives and the targets set out. We monitor our performance through our balanced scorecard as well as our Quality Improvement Plan, and quality reports. Once a decision is made to improve quality in a particular area or practice, the RNAO BPGs are a source of evidence and are utilized to support that improvement. As we continue to develop practice the RNAO BPGs are a vital source of recommendations. RNAO BPGs related to healthy workplaces are also incorporated into our human resource strategic plan and Accreditation Required Organizational Practices.
We have implemented the following best practice guidelines at the Centre:
- Prevention of falls and fall injuries in the older adult;
- Risk assessment and prevention of pressure ulcers; Assessment and management of stage 1-4 pressure ulcers;
- Screening for delirium, dementia, and depression in the older adult; care giving strategies for delirium, dementia, and depression;
- Assessment and management of pain;
- Prevention of constipation in older adult;
- Promoting Continence using prompted voiding;
- Promoting safety alternatives to the use of restraints;
- End of life care during the last days and hours implemented across the Centre;
- Client centered care;
- Oral hygiene: nursing assessment and intervention;
- Care and maintenance to reduce vascular access complications;
- Assessment and Management of Venous Leg Ulcers;
- Assessment and Management of Foot Ulcers for People with Diabetes;
- Best Practice Guideline for the Subcutaneous Administration of Insulin in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes;
- Collaborative Practice Among Nursing Teams;
- Developing and Sustaining Nursing Leadership;
- Developing and Sustaining Interprofessional Healthcare;
- Establishing Therapeutic Relationships;
- Facilitating Client Centred Learning;
- Managing & Mitigating Conflict in Health-care Teams;
- Ostomy Care & Management;
- Preventing and Managing Violence in the Workplace;
- Professionalism in Nursing
To learn more about BPSO, please visit the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario website.