West Park’s Spasticity Management Clinic is the largest adult spasticity program in the country and features leading experts in spasticity management.
The clinic provides a full range of specialized, interdisciplinary care for adults with spasticity that helps ensure optimal outcomes and provides many opportunities for research and education that will advance spasticity management in communities across Canada and beyond.
The clinic is designated as a centre for the training of physicians in spasticity management nationwide, and also provides valuable patient and caregiver education to support independent and productive living in the community.
Goals of the clinic are to:
- Relieve the signs and symptoms of spasticity; Reduce pain, frequency of spasms, or irritating stimuli;
- Improve gait, hygiene, activities of daily living, or ease of care;
- Reduce problems with passive function, that is, the functions provided by the caregiver, such as dressing, feeding, transfer, and bathing;
- Improve voluntary active motor function, such as reaching for, grasping, moving, and releasing an object.
- Physician assessment and treatment Physiotherapy and occupational therapy
- Pharmacotherapy (eg Baclofen, Dantrium, Tizanidine)
- Neuromuscular blockade (eg Botulinium Toxin)
To download a brochure on the Spasticity Management Clinic, click here.
Stroke and Brain Function
The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. The are prescription drug costs to be covered by the patient.
Eligibility: Adults (18 years of age and older) with spasticity.
The service is open to adults (18 years of age and older) with spasticity.
Referral is through family physician. Please use this referral form and have the completed form faxed to us at 416-243-3907.
Please call our clinic at 416-243-3721.
Whether you are a new or returning patient, please schedule to be at our clinic 10 minutes before your appointment and plan to be at the clinic for approximately 90 minutes.
During your appointment you are likely to be seen by a variety of members of our team. Our approach consists of comprehensive evaluation and treatment options. You will receive support from our nurse, therapy staff and your physician as part of your treatment.
Our hospital is involved in teaching practitioners and students of medicine, nursing and other health professions. You may be asked for permission to allow these individuals to be present during your clinic appointment.