West Park's Respiratory Rehabilitation Service is designed to help patients with chronic lung disease improve or increase their ability to live independently in the community. This in-patient rehabilitation service provides education, planning and coping skills, and a supervised exercise program that includes breathing control techniques.
In-patient respiratory rehabilitation is available for people unable to take advantage of West Park's out-patient Respiratory Day Hospital.
Service features include:
- Assistance to achieve as much independence as possible, based on personal goals established prior to and during the hospital stay;
- Patient education about lung disease and medications, as well as how to plan and cope with day-to-day activities and independent living in the community;
- A supervised exercise program that focuses on cardiovascular fitness, upper and lower limb strength, endurance training, energy conservation, relaxation training, breathing control and coping techniques;
- Weekend leaves so patients can practice acquired skills at home;
- Regular follow-up on an outpatient basis.
To download a brochure on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), click here.
Lungs and Breathing
Funding: The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. See "Additional Information" for more detail on other costs.
Patients of West Park Healthcare Centre's Respiratory Rehabilitation Service are adults (18 years of age and older) who:
- Have the potential to improve their health or independence:
- Are non-smokers (for at least three months prior to admission);
- Are medically and mentally stable (in order to fully participate in an exercise program);
- Are able to return to living in the community upon completion of the program.
Referrals are accepted by fax from physicians and should include: medical history and relevant test results (ie: pulmonary function, chest x-ray, CT scan, oxygen or cardiac assessments) and patient demographic information.
Fax to: 416-243-3696 or call 416-243-3631.
A physician referral is required. To find out more on how to refer, visit here. To access the relevant referral form, click here.
For admission information, please call a Respiratory Services Care Co-ordinator at 416-243-3600 ext. 4765 or 4745.
For information, please call a Respiratory Services Care Co-ordinator at 416-243-3600 ext. 4765 or 4745.
The cost of medical and professional care in standard ward accommodation (where four people share one room) is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Additional fees are charged for semi-private (two people per room) and private (one person per room) accommodation; details on preferred accommodation are available from Respiratory Care Coordinators at 416-243-3600 ext. 4765 or 4745.