People who have had complex hip or knee replacements, a joint replacement re-done, or severe trauma due to an accident often need special help to get moving again.
West Park's Musculoskeletal (MSK) Rehabiltation Service provides expertise and education to patients with complex MSK rehabilitation needs to enable them to achieve their full physical, psychological and social potential. Our MSK rehab service provides care to patients after they have been discharged from an acute care hospital, helping them recover as much function and mobility as possible. This service achieves this with:
- A transdisciplinary team including a physiatrist, an attending physician, care co-ordinators, nursing staff, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, rehabilitation assistants and other health professionals
- Access to therapy seven-days-a-week for in-patients
- Discharge follow-up to on-site out-patient clinic, if required
- A treatment program developed in conjunction with the patient and his/her family
- Information and education on a variety of topics, including family adjustment, community resources, medications etc.
To download a brochure on Total Joint Replacements, click here. To download a brochure on Trauma, click here.
Bones & Joints
Funding: The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. (See "Additional information" for more detail.)
Patients of West Park's MSK Rehab Service:
- Are adults who live in the Greater Toronto Area; occasionally, patients from outside of the GTA are admitted to the service;
- Are admitted based on the complexity of the rehabilitation required, NOT the primary medical condition/diagnosis;
- Have a specific diagnosis or condition related to: complicated hip and knee arthroplasties; arthroplasty revisions; more than one MSK pathology; extensive MSK trauma; non-surgical musculoskeletal conditions requiring rehabilitation (e.g., systemic lupus erythrematosis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc); other illnesses whose major requirement is musculoskeletal.
An individual patient assessment by a West Park physiatrist determines whether rehabilitation should be provided through in-patient admission or on an out-patient basis.
A physician referral is required. To find out more on how to refer, visit here. To access the relevant referral form, click here.
For admission information, please call the Admitting Department at West Park Healthcare Centre at 416-243-3632, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional MSK Rehab Service information, please call 416-243-3600 ext. 4108, or email Leona.Skilling-DiStasi@westpark.org.
The cost of medical and professional care in standard ward accommodation (where four people share one room) is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Additional fees are charged for semi-private (two people per room) and private (one person per room) accommodation; details on preferred accommodation are available from West Park's Financial Services Department at (416) 243-3600, ext. 2074.